Hottopic.com - Everything about the music!
Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Punk Rock at Hot Topic!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Groupies Get No Respect

It's been a crazy couple of days here in Groupieland.

Saturday I drove to San Diego to go to The Secret Machines show. I won't lie about the show. It was good. Not the best I've been to, but I might have been a tad nervous seeing as I was actually going to meet up with you know who, otherwise known as the drummer, Josh. Normally, I wouldn't be divulging personal details, but I'm feeling a bit rejected and I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when my feelings have been hurt. Anyway, the night went spectacularly. Josh dj'd at Beauty Bar after the show and actually played some really good music. I don't know why I was surprised, but maybe that should have been my first warning. We actually had a great time. The whole band came out and we all squeezed into this tiny BMW to get back to the hotel.

The next day I was really tired, but I don't know what happened aside from that. We spent the day together, we had fun. So I thought. Towards the end of the night he started getting a little distant. I didn't think much of it. I figured we're tired. Whatever, right? Well, the next day was even worse. I drove him back to LA and on the way back he did a phone interview and he says to me, "It was weird doing an interview and thinking it could be my last." Well I'm sorry I'm a shitty driver, Josh. After I dropped him off at the bus I went home to clean up and I went back to the Avalon for the show. It was cool. I was a little annoyed I wasn't being allowed backstage before the show. Taylor Hawkins had called Josh the night before to tell him he was going to be there and I figured it would be a good time to meet him, as opposed to after the show. Whatever. I watched the show. It was amazing. I love that band, but I knew I would ruin it for myself. This isn't the first time. I go backstage after the show and play cat and fucking mouse with Josh the entire evening and then at the end he asks me if I can drop him off at the hotel. What? So I did. On the way there, I asked him if he'd be terribly disappointed if I went to the Beastie Boys show instead of theirs the next night, as I had been invited and thought it was a good opportunity. He was like, yeah you should go. And I was like, well I'll see you after. And he said to text him. I was under the impression I'd hear from him. Well, jokes on me. It's 11pm on Wednesday and I still haven't heard from him. I swear to god I'm the poster child for "He's Just Not That Into You." Is the Greg Behrendt show still on? They should totally have me as a guest.

So, last night, I did attend the Beastie Boys show at the Fonda as a guest of their manager's boyfriend. It was an okay Beastie Boys show. It was a lot shorter than I'd thought it would be. And to be honest, they're getting a little old for their songs, as I'm sure they're aware. They were still fun to watch. They didn't play any of my personal favorites, but I guess I'll live. We went to the after party upstairs and hung out for a bit. We delivered a bunch of t-shirts to Ad-Rock's wife Kathleen Hanna. I almost wish it was a Le Tigre show instead. Haha! Sorry Beastie Boys! No one that interesting (besides Kathleen) was there. Donovan Leitch was there wearing a sweater with a big pot leaf and talking to his ex-brother-in-law, Adam Horowitz (or Ad-Rock to the uninformed). Carmen Electra was there, sans Dave Navarro of course. And my friend saw some dude who was on Rockstar Supernova. We went to Check Yo Ponytail afterwards and apparently missed Orlano Bloom's appearance. I supposed he was there to see fellow birts, the Kooks, who I am not disappointed to have missed.

So, moral of the story is, most band guys suck. Especially the drummers. (See Tommy Lee if you don't believe me.) If you're going to be dumb like me, don't ever fall for a musician unless they've already proposed or at least given you some diamonds. Seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home