Hottopic.com - Everything about the music!
Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Punk Rock at Hot Topic!

Monday, July 31, 2006

Buy This CD! Gym Class Heroes As Cruel as School Children


Go buy this cd. Seriously. Kudos to Pete Wentz. You are building a fine empire. Every year Warped Tour has one hip hop band. It's not surprising this was Gym Class Heroes' year considering they are on Decaydance and are part of Atlantic Records and fuelbyramen's plan to use Pete Wentz and his following for all they're worth. The good thing is As Cruel as School Children is a light-hearted, fun change of pace from the cookie cutter bands that AP has been featuring. Don't get me wrong, I love those cookie cutter bands, but it's always nice to have something a little different to contribute to my hearing loss. In the long run, Gym Class Heroes aren't even that different than Fall Out Boy. The lyrics are not unlike all Fall Out Boy songs (although Travis is a little more forward...). Each song is about a girl, with cute spoken word vignettes tucked in between. It's the light-heartedness that Travis McCoy brings to the lyrics combined with a live band as opposed to a dj and samples that's really sold me. Their first single, "The Queen and I" is probably the best track and soon to be my new ring tone. It's one of those songs I swear must have been written about me. Heehee. Then there's "New Friend Request," which is so defining of today's youth. If My Space isn't paying them for cementing their relevance, they really should be. "7 Weeks", featuring William Beckett of The Academy Is... rounds out my top three. Hopefully I don't have to explain why I like a song featuring William Beckett. And those of you who got to witness "7 Weeks" live, with William singing, on Warped Tour, I hope you consider yourselves as lucky as I do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home