Hottopic.com - Everything about the music!
Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Punk Rock at Hot Topic!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Slowly Revealing My Secrets

Since I don't have much to talk about today and I'm still trying to decide what to do about The Secret Machines show tomorrow I'll tell you the short story of when I met Josh Garza.
It was a typical night in NYC. I was hanging out with my sister groupies at their St.Marks apartment. We were probably eating fish sticks and drinking $6 champagne, since at the time, that seemed like the best thing to be doing. One of my friends handed me a magazine they had been saving for me. A Spin magazine with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs on the cover. (I was obssessed with Nick Zinner at the time and I must have read that interview a hundred times. That was also the week I met him, but that's a different story) Inside the magazine was a blurb about The Secret Machines and a picture. I believe it was this one:



One of my other friends in NYC had recently played their yet to be released album for me and I was really into it. So, I was staring at the picture and I decided I wanted to meet the drummer. Now that I look back on it, I'm sure I had seen them or met them before because they looked so damn familiar.
After drinking the champagne and eating the fishsticks we headed over to Cheers, I mean Luna Lounge to hang out with our favorite bartenders. I don't remember what compelled us, but (this was before Darkroom, like maybe a week before it opened I think?) we decided to walk over to Bar 13 (Now The Annex owned by Jason Baron and Paul Banks). I think Eric was working. Anyway, we walk in and who do I see but Josh Garza. I decided that was fate and I had to meet him. I was really drunk. Somehow Carlos D entered into our conversation and Josh made a comment that basically sounded like he was calling me fat. Then he had the nerve to ask if I was going to see them at the Bowery the next night. I told him it was between them and the Killers at Mercury Lounge! Hah! Take that Garza.
Well, I didn't see either band the next night, but soon after I discovered The Secret Machines would be touring with Interpol. Here's a picture from Philadelphia that a lot of people won't approve of, but since I'm talking about TSM and it has Brandon in it I think I'll just post it. I never took any pictures with Josh. Maybe I'll take one tomorrow...



P.S. This picture is from one of my most favorite nights ever. I think this is where the Drunk Groupie was conceived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home