Hottopic.com - Everything about the music!
Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Punk Rock at Hot Topic!

Thursday, August 25, 2005

When good looking goes bad

I like bad music. I'll be the first to admit that I like some bands based of their looks and charisma, not necessarily musical talent. I have no argument for why My Chemical Romance is a good band except that I think the boys are really hot. Sometimes this gets to be a problem.

First, I find myself listening to Papa Roach's Last Resort on the radio the other day. This proves to be very confusing because I can't understand why I'm listening to a band whose live show had me covering my ears and burying my head in my lap in misery. Then I remember, "Oh yeah. Scars. Why can't they just play that?" What? Since when do I listen to, as I once called them, Papa's Crotch? Scars isn't really an amazing song. It's got a great hook, but so does that lame Fall Out Boy song and I hate that song. Then, as I think about Scars, I think about the video. "Damn, Jacoby looks good now." Ah-ha!
I think this is totally unfair. If lame boys in lame bands get fancy makeovers they make lame girls like me like them! I'm pretty sure that's what happened with MCR. It's all about the way they look in the It's Not Okay (I Promise) video and the video for Helena. Both videos are not unlike boy band videos or Blink 182 videos. Helena has dancing for gawd's sake.

This phenomenom can also come in reverse. There are plenty of guys I think are cute because I think they play amazing music. The first band that comes to mind is The Secret Machines. Their music is hot. The band members? Not so hot. I have had the biggest crushes on Brandon and Josh. Both are kind of unkempt and not traditionally good looking. (Although, they have since been attacked by man style genius Craig Robinson.) Another band that comes to mind is The Mars Volta, whom I believe trap a lot of us. Do you honestly think Cedric and Omar are attractive? Not in the traditional sense anyway.

Then I have my "what the fuck bands." A long list of bands that aren't good (by other people's standards) and aren't attractive at all (by anyone's standards). First, there's my brief, but ridiculous Korn phase. If anyone wants to attempt to explain that, be my guest. I saw Korn like 5 time in one year and as far as I can remember I enjoyed it. Huh? Then there's Marilyn Manson. He cancels himself out because some people will say he's a category one (I like his music because he's charismatic and stylish) and some people will say he's category two (I think he's attractive because his music has something). I haven't figured it out.

I guess the point of this rant is to thank the bands I like whom have never tricked me into listening to their music by being hot or tricked me into thinking they're attractive by playing good music. I appreciate not being lame all the time.

2 Comments:

Blogger MSK said...

Bunny loves the bling. Brandon's gold tooth is hot, too bad the Secret Machines still suck regardless. Yawn.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Drunk Groupie said...

Yeah, but you probably wouldn't really want to see ELO live, either

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home